AEM Network Team Request for Participation
Formal Application Purpose & Additional Details:
This intensive technical assistance and guidance will help your team more accurately identify students who need reading accommodations and more specifically, which accommodations they will receive the most benefit from. This is grounded largely within the national movement toward “Accessible Educational Materials” (AEM) and increased federal focus on student achievement and outcome data. More information on the 7 AEM Indicators.
The formal purpose of this opportunity is to assist LEAs in providing Accessible Educational Materials (AEM), which are specialized formats of print or digital based instructional materials, to students with print disabilities AND identifying student who require reading accommodations and which reading accommodations that are best for them individually. Working closely with LEA representatives, akCAM will offer guidance on developing, improving and sustaining an effective and efficient system for providing AEM and Assistive Technology (AT) as needed, in a timely manner and in compliance with the IDEA reauthorization of 2004.
Intensive and focused assistance from the akCAM project will be LEA-focused and will proceed in accordance with an Individualized Action Plan collaboratively developed and agreed upon by the LEA’s AEM team and the akCAM designated staff. Assistance will be provided to the LEA personnel involved in the provision of accessible educational materials for students with qualifying print disabilities.
This project will provide teams in five (5) schools, school districts or statewide education programs with ongoing training and technical assistance to develop, improve, and sustain an effective system for the provision of specialized formats of print or digital educational materials to students with disabilities. School districts, schools or educational programs are limited to a maximum of two (2) consecutive years on the AEM Network.
Benefits of Participation if Selected:
- Intensive, but friendly, and direct assistance bringing your district into full compliance with the determination of need for AEM, acquisition, implementation, and data collection for the purpose of increasing student achievement.
- Dedicated akCAM Staff meeting with your district, both in-person and online for the rest of this AEM Network cycle (August 2016 – May 2018). This may include help in identifying, training, and supporting team members, and assistance in recognizing weaker areas to develop an improvement plan of action.
- Focused Assistance: Guidance provided for students identified as benefiting from reading accommodations in two primary ways. First, in ensuring your district, school or education program is in compliance with the 7 Qualify Indicators for providing AEMs and second in assisting your staff in the collection and analysis of data to guide accommodations and growth.
akCAM staff will provide technical assistance and program development training to each of the local AEM teams, through distance and onsite support.
The training will include:
- AEM basics.
- Assistance in identifying students in need of AEM.
- Training and support on the effective use of Bookshare, Learning Ally, and other AEM resources.
- Finding and using assistive technology to access digital AEM.
- Assistance to set up and maintain policies and procedures for AEM.
- Procurement considerations for both curriculum and technology.
AEM NETWORK TEAM REQUIREMENTS
Teams must be willing to:
- Participate and contribute in regularly scheduled teleconferences, distance delivered and onsite meetings.
- Join in teleconferences, online forums, or other media to provide opportunities for participants to network.
- Collect and analyze formative and summative data on systemic effectiveness and change.
- Provide feedback and data on the impact of the AEM Network on the development of the LEA system.
- Develop an Action Plan based on a needs assessment and implement the activities in the Plan.
- Document an informal Case Study on at least one print disabled student.
LEA AEM Team Members may consist of a variety of school personnel. Below are just a few akCAM recommends strong consideration of:
- LEA Administrator
- Special educator Director
- Special Education Teacher
- General Education Teacher
- Teacher of the Visually Impaired
- IT Staff
- Curriculum Staff
- Related Services Staff
All Alaskan LEAs are welcome to apply and the selection of LEAs will be based only on the information included in the application.
The application review committee will use the following criteria and considerations during the decision making process.
- Did the applicant adequately identify district, school or program need?
- Does the applicant demonstrate having technical support to implement AEM (e.g. Internet capabilities, access to technology for students, supportive Administration and IT personnel, etc.)?
- Was the applicant able to identify staff and/or faculty that are willing to participate as a team to implement AEM?
- Was the applicant able to identify a liaison or designee responsible for the direct oversight and local coordination of the AEM team?