Disability Specific

///Disability Specific
Disability Specific 2016-09-23T19:47:38+00:00

Disability Specific Funding

What are funding resources for a specific disability?

Finding the right grant for yourself or a loved one can be a confusing process. Let us help you! These funding options are available to Alaskans with disabilities:

Alzheimers Disease

Alzheimer’s Disease Resource Agency of Alaska (ADRD)

Grants available on a statewide bases to Alaskans diagnosed with ADRD [Alzheimer’s disease and related disorders: including Parkinson’s Dementia, Multi-infarct Dementia (stroke related), Pick’s Disease, Lewy Body Dementia, Huntington’s Disease or Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease.] The maximum benefit per individual per year is $2,500 and pays for supplies or services that are not covered by other sources. Information and applications are available at www.alzalaska.org.
Address:1750 Abbott Road, Anchorage, AK 99507
Phone: (907) 561-3313
Toll-Free within Alaska: (800) 478-1080
Fax: (907) 561-3315.

Amputation and Prosthetics

Bowman Siciliano Limb Bank Foundation,

Previously known as the Dana Bowman Limb Bank Foundation, this is a great resource for artificial limbs for those in need. It is a non-profit organization seeking to fulfill the need for artificial limbs in underdeveloped nations and here in the United States where traditional funding is unavailable.
Address: Bowman Siciliano Limb Bank 100 Spanish Oak Road, Weatherford, Texas 76087
Email: DanaBowman@aol.com

Limbs for Life Foundation

Limbs for Life is a global nonprofit organization dedicated to providing fully functional prosthetic care for people who cannot otherwise afford it. Each qualified applicant is provided with partial or complete funding for an advanced prosthesis, fitted by a certified prosthetist. The Limbs for Life Foundation’s Diabetic Prosthetic Rehabilitation Program, assists individuals who have had an amputation caused by diabetes.
Address: Limbs for Life 5929 N. May, Suite 511, Oklahoma City, OK 73112
Phone: (405)843-5174
Fax: (405) 843-5123
Email: admin@limbsforlife.org


Easter Seals Alaska

Easter Seals is a national organization which provides services, education, outreach and advocacy for people liviing with autism and disabilities.
Address: 126 West 15th Avenue Anchorage, AK 99501
Phone: (907) 277-7325

Blindness and Low Vision

Association of Blind Citizens

The Assistive Technology Fund (ATF) is operated by the Association of Blind Citizens. If the person qualifies, the ATF will provide funds to pay for 50% of the MSRP of the adaptive device. The applicant must be legally blind and a resident of the USA. Applications are submitted by email (atf@blindcitizens.org) only.

Brain Injury

LINKS (Mat-Su Parent Resource Center)

LINKS is administering a Department of Health and Social Services mini grant program for Alaskans who experience acquired or traumatic brain injury. The person has to have a documented brain injury. There is a maximum of $2500 that can be used at one time. To apply, you must be 18 years or older and be an Alaskan resident. The intent of the grant is to get the individual back into the community, schools, employment, etc. The application for the brain injury mini-grant is available online in PDF format.


American Syringomyelia Chiari Association

Grants up to $1,000 are available for qualifying American Syringomyelia Chiari Association (ASAP) members to assist with the purchase of adaptive equipment and assistive devices. The grantee must be a member of ASAP for 6 months prior to applying for the grant, have a diagnosis of syringomyelia or Chiari, and provide a written quote for total cost of the item.
Phone: 1 (800) 272-7282.

Children with Disabilities

Kya’s Krusade

Kya’s Krusade is an organization that offers information, support, and financial assistance for children with a confirmed diagnosis of a life-long physical disability affecting the child’s motor skills, for which physical/occupational therapy is part of the treatment regimen. The adaptive equipment fund will provide up to $1,000. Examples of equipment include: easels, mobility aids, standing aids, and bathroom equipment. They also offer a grant up to $500 towards physical therapy.
Phone: (614) 750-2198.
Email: FinancialAssist@kyaskrusade.org

Deaf and Hard of Hearing

Better Hearing Institute

The Better Hearing Institute has put together a guide of resources: Financial Assistance for Hearing Aids. Specific eligibility applies.
Address: 1444 I Street, NW, Suite 700 Washington, DC 20005
Phone: (202) 449-1100
or Fax: (202) 216 – 9646

The Hearing Loss Association of American

(Formerly Self Help for Hard of Hearing People) The Hearing Loss Association is a national organization dedicated to helping people with hearing loss. They have a wealth of places to contact to fund hearing aids. Contact: 7910 Woodmont Ave, Suite 1200, Bethesda, MD 20814
Phone: 301-657-2248 Fax: 301-913-9413

Hear Now

Starkey Hearing Foundation offers global assistance to people with hearing loss. Their Hear Now program is a national non-profit program committed to assisting deaf and hard-of-hearing persons with limited financial resources who permanently reside within the United States.
Address: Hear Now, 6700 Washington Ave. South Eden Prairie, MN 55344
Phone: (800) 328-8602

HIKE Fund, Inc.

The purpose of the Hearing IMpaired Kids Endowment is to provide hearing devices to children with hearing losses between the ages of newborn and twenty years whose parents are unable to meet this special need financially. With proper documentation this may include closed caption converters for television, FM units that amplify hearing aids, computers to assist communication, or other technology devices.
Phone: (712) 325-0812
E-mail: johnhauser11@gmail.com

TPA Scholarship Trust

Provides funds for children and adults who are Deaf or experience hearing loss and need assistance obtaining devices, medical or specialized treatment or specialized education as well as speech classes, note takers, interpreters, etc. and in other areas of need that are directly related to hearing impairment. Applications are due by March 1st Annually.

Learning Disabilities

National Center for Learning Disabilities (NCLD)

The NCLD offers two scholarships (one a $10,000 award over a 4 year period, the other a single $2,500 award for one year) given to a high school senior with an identified learning disability who is pursuing an undergraduate degree. The student must be of high merit with an identified learning disability in public or private secondary school.
Address: 81 Park Avenue South, Suite 1401, New York, NY 10016-8806.
Fax: 212-545-9665 or Email: AFScholarship@ncld.org

Multiple Sclerosis

Multiple Sclerosis Society

The Greater Northwest Chapter works to improve the quality of life for people affected by MS in Alaska, Northern Idaho, Montana and Washington. They offer scholarships, pharmaceutical financial assistance, support groups, and more. Contact the local office:
Address: 3831 Piper St., Ste. S410
Anchorage, AK 99508
Phone: (907) 563-1115
Email: MSNorthWest@nmss.org

The Multiple Sclerosis Foundation (MSF) Assistive Technology Program

May provide an AT product, help locate a product, or help with funding for a wide range of devices that allow individuals with MS to function more independently in activities of daily living, as well as recreation, education and vocational activities. Products and devices include: ADLs, communication devices, computers and computer aids, home modifications, vehicle modifications, orthotics, seating, positioning, and mobility devices, aids for vision and hearing, and cooling aids.
Email: support@msfocus.org

The Multiple Sclerosis Foundation (MSF) Brighter Tomorrow

Provides individuals with MS with goods or services (valued at up to $1000.00 per recipient) to improve their quality of life by enhancing safety, self-sufficiency, comfort, or well-being. Examples include, but are not limited to car repairs, ramps, wheelchairs, walkers, eyeglasses, computers, therapeutic equipment, and various home modifications. To qualify, a person must be 18 years of age or older and diagnosed with MS, or the parent of a minor child diagnosed with MS, and be a permanent U.S. resident. They must not have any other means of fulfilling the need they express.
Email: support@msfocus.org

Muscular Dystrophy / Neuromuscular Diseases

Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA)

MDA offers assistance with the cost of repairs and/or modifications to all types of durable medical equipment needed in connection with your or your loved one’s neuromuscular disease. In addition, they offer a national equipment program to anyone for whom medical equipment is prescribed in relation to a neuromuscular disease diagnosis. Contact your local MDA office for more information.
Address: 121 W. Fireweed, Anchorage, AK 99503.
Phone (907) 276-2131

Muscular Dystrophy Family Foundation (MDFF)

This nonprofit foundation provides adaptive equipment and emotional support to individuals and families affected by any one of 40 neuromuscular diseases. MDFF funds adaptive equipment from wheelchairs to van lifts to communication devices and beyond.
Address: 3951 N. Meridian Street, Suite 100, Indianapolis, Indiana 46208
Phone: (317) 923-6333
Fax: (317) 923-6334


Paralyzed Veterans Association (PVA)

Provides opportunities for health promotion, employment, sports, recreation, service and camaraderie for paralyzed veterans.
Address: Northwest Chapter of PVA 616 SW 152nd Suite B, Burien, WA 98166
Phone: (800) 424-8200

Spinal Cord Injuries

Bryan Riesch Paralysis Foundation

BRFP Charitable Grants up to $10,000 are awarded quarterly to individuals with spinal cord injury to help pay for items such as vehicle modifications, wheelchairs, and ramps.
Address: Bryon Riesch Paralysis Foundation P.O. Box 1388 Waukesha, WI 53187-1388
Phone: (262) 547-2083
Email: info@brpf.org

SCORE (Spinal Cord Opportunities for Rehabilitation Endowment)

SCORE funding assists individuals with spinal cord injury costs, including the out-of-pocket costs for items such as home modifications, vehicle adaptations and medical co-payments. In the long term, SCORE strives to provide resources to help the individual achieve full independent living. Grant preference to young people injured while participating in sports.
Address: 30 Monument Square, Suite 220, Concord, MA 01742
Phone: (323) 655-8298
Email: questions@scorefund.org

Travis Roy Foundation

The Travis Roy Foundation provides grants to spinal cord injury survivors. Grants typically range from $4,000 to $7,500; there is no minimum award. Assistance is awarded to paraplegics or quadriplegics paralyzed due to a spinal cord injury (Please Note: paralysis must be due to a spinal cord injury; paralysis due to other causes is not eligible). Applicants must demonstrate financial need, reside in the United States, and have a specific request. There is no age requirement.
Address: Hemenway & Barnes LLP, 60 State Street, 8th Floor, Boston, MA 02109

Email: info@travisroyfoundation.org


American Syringomyelia Chiari Association

Grants up to $1,000 are available for qualifying American Syringomyelia Chiari Association (ASAP) members to assist with the purchase of adaptive equipment and assistive devices. The grantee must be a member of ASAP for 6 months prior to applying for the grant, have a diagnosis of syringomyelia or Chiari, and provide a written quote for total cost of the item.
Phone: 1 (800) 272-7282.

Resize Font